Thursday, October 15, 2009

Lillian's Birth Story
















It just came to me that I should copy her birth story into a blog.. So here goes it!

Honestly I couldn't have planned it better. I guess maybe if she would have came on her due date. LOL

So Wednesday we were helping a friend put border up in her baby's nursery and I started having contractions. Nothing painful. So we went home and started timing them. They were 5 minutes apart but not really hurting me. It simply felt like I couldn't breathe as easily. I called the dr and they told me to go in to the hospital. So we did. The contraction monitor was broken so they had to get it changed out. (Twice) By the time they did my contractions were 6-7 minutes apart but a little painful. They gave me a shot of morphine and had me walk for an hour. They said don't let me find you giving birth on the stairs. So I decided to find the stairs! I was only 3 cm dialated. Nothing changed from walking so they sent me home with a sleeping pill.

I fell asleep immediately. But I woke up for every contraction. They got closer and closer and more and more painful. At like 5 am Thursday I suddenly threw up. So I called the hospital and it was still the same nurse. She told me to come in right away. So we went in and I was 4-5 cm with steady contractions. So they admitted me. They gave me a couple bags of IV fluid and steroids for my thrombocytopenia.

At 8:00 they started my epidural. I was having contractions but they were not too painful. I kept the epidural really low because I wanted to be able to move during the labor. My contractions didnt get any closer together on their own so they gave me 2 ccs or whatever of Pitocin. That helped. The nurse came in a couple hours later and I was contracting every 2 minutes. So she gave me 4 ccs of Pitocin and that really did it. The nurse came back in like an hour later and said they were one minute apart so she wanted to check me. She did the exam and said... We need the DR you are fully dialated but your water hasn't broke. So she called the dr.

The dr did the exam and broke my water in the process. I started pushing at like 1:00. Not really trying to get her out just to get her closer to out. I pushed on every third or fourth contraction. At 2:00 we started pushing a little more actively. They had me do different things like tug of war with a sheet, squatting with the bar etc. They had shut my epidural off so I was feeling the contractions but not really pain. The worst part was running out of breath. So they gave me an oxygen mask to use when I wanted. I thought she would never come out and even wanted to give up a little. But then they took my hand and I felt her head. That gave me all the energy int he world!!

At 2:53 she was born. I cried. Her daddy cried. And her Grandpa cried. It was amazing!! She got 9s on the Apgar both times and she really is perfect!! 7 lbs 13.6 ounces and 20.5 inches long!! God's gift to us!
I know this says 20" but the card they gave us says 20.5 and that is what they told us.. so IDK y the difference. :)

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I love hearing birth stories! She was long. My babies have all been like 18-19 inches. I am short. I've also never went into labor... I was induced all 3 times with pitocin. So everything was always scheduled and I never went through the labor part with painful contractions. Since they induced me... I got the epidural early on every time. I wanna go into labor on my own this time... we'll see.

Post a Comment